The Barista Buddy Program (BBP) is designed to ensure that all World Barista Championship (WBC) competitors coming to Melbourne for the finals experience first hand the passion for specialty coffee in Australia, whilst giving them a single point of contact to assist with the co-ordination of their requirements and then extending each barista a warm welcome to Melbourne upon their arrival by familiarisng them with Melbourne and ensuring they have a safe and enjoyable time whilst in our country.
Each competition barista will be allocated a buddy who will make contact and essentially be their Melbourne correspondent. The buddy will assist with any questions the barista may have in the lead up to their trip and during the competition such as visa and customs enquiries, how the public transport system works and where to get specific ingredients.
Who should apply
People with a connection to the coffee and/or hospitality industry are encouraged to apply. Whilst the WBC is a English speaking competition, the ability to speak other languages are highly desirable. You will also hold a current drivers license and be available from 16th May – 26th May, 2013.
What's the role of a Barista Buddy?
The Barista Buddy will be the barista’s first point of contact in Australia with regards to anything related to the competitions. They will facilitate the barista’s stay in Melbourne and assist with a range of things including but not limited to the following:
- Keeping in touch with the barista via email or Facebook in the lead up to the show to answer any questions regarding visas, what they can and cannot bring into the country, general Melbourne questions such as accommodation suggestions, public transport details, what foods are in season etc. Timely response to any questions is essential.
- Ideally picking Barista up from the airport and/or giving a familiarization tours of Melbourne.
- Assisting to find shops selling desired milk or ingredients for signature drink – ie supermarkets, markets, and specialty grocers.
- Being available from the 16th May until the completion of the event on 26th May for any assistance required.
Why become a Barista Buddy?
- Get an insider’s perspective on the World Barista Championships and what’s involved
- Network with some of the industry’s most talented baristas and make connections all over the world.
- Play your part in putting Melbourne on the global map as a specialty coffee destination. Fast track your own pathway into competitions by seeing the best up close and having the opportunity to grow your coffee knowledge
How to apply
Please visit either the MICE or AASCA websites below and complete the application forms: